Friday, 11 October 2013

October 4th, 2013

I want to start this blog with a quote by Wayne Gretzky. You may think, "What does a great Canadian hockey player have to do with public relations?". It's a good question. But what I have found in my first five weeks of studying public relations is that the big ideas are often confusing at first, mainly because they are different. And what is different and new can be unsettling to us, and I know this very well. I have discovered though that different and new are two things that make a big impact in public relations, and by extension, in my life.

"I try not to skate to where the puck is, but where it's going to be".
 
 
Marc Binkley, founder of The Sleeping Barber, came and spoke to us last week in our PR and Digital Media class. He imparted on us this quote by the Great One, and explained how vital it is to stay innovative in the field of public relations. While many in business might be afraid of trying new strategies, the ability to stay fresh and innovative, constantly trying new strategies and tactics is essential to keeping your company competitive in an ever-changing marketplace. This is how we keep ahead of the competition, as well as constantly setting new standards of great to aspire to. It is creativity and foresight and an understanding of the industry all wrapped up into one goal: to keep looking forward.

I appreciated this comment from him as this ability to anticipate and accept change is something I can struggle with in life. Learning how to overcome this obstacle in my day to day life will certainly help me in my future in public relations.


No comments:

Post a Comment