Friday, 29 November 2013

From Windows 95 to iOS7: The Evolution of Web Usability and Digital Communications

November 29th, 2013

I never thought that I would want to take a web development course or a course along those lines. While I've used computers for three quarters of my life, and I consider myself fairly adept at using them, I've never considered myself a very technical person in terms of technology. I've recently become interested though in how valuable the in-depth knowledge can be regarding web development and how to make good and effective websites. A few weeks ago this never would have occurred to me, and I never would have been able to tell you what a good website really means and how to achieve that. Now, not only do I feel like I can communicate this, but I want to be a part of that process of going from medicore to good and good to great.

The first computer I ever used was an IBM desktop that ran Windows 95. It was a clunky piece of technology that made way in the coming years to sleeker iMacs and slimmed-down PCs. The incredible advancements that have occurred with computer technology means that now more people use mobile computers, meaning smart phones, tablets, and similar devices, instead of a regular desktop computer. I know that for myself this holds true. Instead of turning on my Macbook I just pull out my iPad and browse what I want to search or go on social media websites. It's only when I come across a website that isn't fully optimized for a mobile browser that I turn to my laptop, or if I'm doing serious writing.

The guest speakers we had today from Special Sauce Factory iterated the need for web design and development to be geared more than ever before towards usability on a mobile device. I find that while I'm interested in understanding how customers and the public interacts with these websites, I want to have the skills and background knowledge to understand why these things are critical to the success or failure of a company's digital communications strategy. And of course, in this day and age, another skill on the resume doesn't hurt either!

No comments:

Post a Comment